Monday, 17 June 2013

Behind The Scenes part 1- "Colours Needles & Stories"

In exactly 2 weeks, I will be putting out my brand new song, "Colours, Needles and Stories".

The song's about my memories living life in Singapore and about why I get tattoos.

Here are the lyrics: 

Colours Needles and Stories

"Colours Needles and stories
Memories I’d like to keep
Forever close to my heart now
Always following me

Pictures people and troubles I meet
Fables I’d like to believe
Inking reminders I keep on my journey

Whatever the shade of our skin
No matter the tools in our hands
However big our burdens be
Everyone needs to be free

Pictures people and troubles I meet
Fables I’d like to believe
Inking reminders I keep on my journey
There’s some things in this life I try to forget
These markings on me keep me going
Every man dies but not all men live
The road’s been long in the lion city
But they’re all the pieces of me

Oh I want to remember
Oh I I need them close
Oh life I know is for the living
But there’s some things on my road I’ll want the same

Pictures people and troubles I meet
Fables I’d like to believe
Inking reminders I keep on my journey
There’s some things in this life I try to forget
These markings on me keep me going
Every man dies but not all men live
The road’s been long in the lion city
But they’re all the pieces of me"

I've also made a music video to accompany the song with the help of two of my buddies, Toshi & Ernesto who also know their way around the camera, actually, they know plenty more than me. So with 3 guys cameras, a van, my motorcycle and a lot of time and love... I've now got this video shot, edited and ready to go.

The music always gets done first, here are some photos of the sound recording process.
This here is a Neumann U87 microphone. I used this classic recording mic to record the vocals on "Colours, Needles & Stories." It's got a beautiful warm sound and for this laid back, pensive, nostalgic song... I think it works with my voice.

The Classic Neumann U87 Condenser mic.
I am not a very technical musician, I leave most of this stuff to the pros but I learned a fair bit about mixing, compression and all that boring stuff that's so essential to an audio recording.


Solid State SSL console.

it really is as confusing as it looks.


 After the music was recorded... the filming began. I decided to make the video that had a feeling of traveling, nostalgia, and tattoos, so I called a couple of friends from the tattoo scene here if they wanted to be part of this project. Thank goodness they did!


I borrowed a car & 2 gopros to try out a gopro setup
 
Toshi & Ernesto getting their cameras all prepped  & ready to go.

First stop, Visual Orgasm Tattoo studio on Arab Street.
very cool Visual Orgasm Tattoo signage.

Visual Orgsam's main man, Joseph.
Tattoo shops always has cool shit lying around. Check out this ram skull!

joseph was working on this owl.. it's off the self titled album from Norweigian metal band, Kvelertak.
I saw this skeleton in LASALLE & really wanted to use it some how but I couldn't find any where  to film it.

a nice sunny day for an outdoor scene shoot. Here's Toshi with my bike.

I'll put out the second part to this behind the scenes next week! :) Have a good week ahead, all.

No comments:

Post a Comment